The Spinosaurus is the main antagonist of the 2001 Science fiction film Jurassic Park III.
The Spinosaurus's personality is akin to typical persistent carnivorous movie monsters with a taste of human flesh. Apparently, upon discovering a newfound taste of human flesh, the theropod immediately goes after Alan and co. once Amanda recklessy used a loudspeaker in his habitat where her actions were meant to attract Ben and Eric's attention. It goes so far in its pursuit that it even stalks them wherever they go, and was ultimately forced to leave them because of a fire in the river.
In LEGO Jurassic World within the Jurassic Park III segment, the Spinosaurus was given more personality akin to an anthropomorphic animal in spite of having a similar role and motivation (with the exception of where it usually bullied humans instead of devoured them outright). It was a bit of a bully due to it intentionally tossing Cooper onto the windshield to caused the airplane to crash. It's aversion of fire was humorously exaggerated, as when Alan set the leaked oil of their boat ablaze as Paul Kirby tried to distract it at the nearby crane, the Spinosaurus was frantically hanging onto the crane for its dear life right near Kirby, causing it to collapsed. The Spinosaurus seemed to be interested by ads that aired in Kirby's cellphone as much as Alpha raptor and some of her pack as it and the raptors showed up in the end for hitching a ride with the rescue team, only for them and the protagonists the flee to the mainland for the troubles that it caused.
Role in Jurassic Park III Edit
Spinosaurus was successfully recreated by InGen in the lab on Isla Sorna. Oddly, it was not a dinosaur on InGen's List nor was it planned to be an attraction in Jurassic Park. How he ended up came to being but not on the list was due to either the DNA to create him mistaken for Baryonyx's or Suchomimus', or rather the mistake was realized by the scientist who created him during the cloning process, but had no chance to do something about it because Hurricane Clarissa occurred around this time allowing any surviving Spinosaurs to roam freely without being documented.
Isla Sorna Incident (2001)Edit
It first makes an appearance when the plane lands on Isla Sorna. Nash and Udesky quickly leave Cooper behind, who then begs the plane to stop. The Spinosaurus runs out of the forest, grabbing Cooper in his mouth & killing him. After the plane crashes into the forest from scraping the beast, the spino rips the head of the plane off & drags Nash out by his legs, then drops him onto the forest floor. Nash then tries to crawl away but the spino pins him down & kills him, the others manage to escape, only to encounter a young male Tyrannosaurus and run back towards the Spinosaurus. A quick, vicious and brutal battle ensues where the Tyrannosaurus gained the upper hand at first by headbutting the Spinosaurus and biting the neck, but the Spinosaurus quickly escaped from the jaws and managed to out-maneuver it's rival and overpowered the Tyrannosaurus by biting it's neck with it's jaws and snapping the T. rex's neck with its arms and while the humans escape again.
Later, the Spinosaurus makes another appearance when Eric & Dr. Grant are at the fence after they reunite with Eric's parents. They hear the phone that the spino ate after eating Nash. They turn around seeing the spino and run, making it through an opening in the fence but the Spinosaurus breaks down the fence and the group flees in an abandoned laboratory. It tried to break through the doors of the building, but they proved too tough and the beast gave up.
The last appearance it makes is when everyone is on the boat. It comes out of the water and attacks. It almost kills Paul Kirby but Dr. Grant scares it away with a flare gun igniting the spilled boat-gasoline. It is unknown what happened to him after this.
LEGO Jurassic WorldEdit
In LEGO Jurassic World, his role was more or less same, but more comedic:
- When chasing Cooper, instead of devouring him, he tossed him aside right on to the he plane's windshield, where he is wiped out of the way before the plane crashed.
- When he tries to devour Nash, Nash unexpectedly stuck Kirby's satellite phone on his mouth before runs off to the jungle, briefly distracting him.
- The Spinosaurus ends up getting caught in a tree just like in the film, though the branches of which close on it shuts like stockades. Billy even tosses apples at the Spino for fun. Later on, the dinosaur manages to free itself from the tree.
- The infamous fight between Spinosaurus and the T. rex remains unresolved, most likely resulting in a draw.
- Spinosaurus did not attack Paul, Amanda and Billy after they were reunited with Eric and Alan. Instead, it was found sleeping on a dino-sized hammock while the main group sneaked away from him. However, a similar scene occurs in the opening cutscene for the aviary level.
- Unlike in the movie, the Spinosaurus never flees permanently after being scared away by the fire caused by the group but instead jumps onto the crane. Here, it makes an appearance near the end alongside the Velociraptors to attempt to return the phone to the main group and asked to tag along for the mainland due to hearing hotel ads from said phone, who immediately become scared and run into the rescue helicopters immediately.
- Spinosaurus is up to 43.8 feet (13.3 meters) long, 16 feet (4.8 meters) tall at the top of the head and 19.7 feet (6 meters) tall at the top of the sail.
- Spinosaurus is a controversial dinosaur in the Jurassic Park franchise because of its portrayal in Jurassic Park III. Particularly when it was shown to be more powerful than the fan favorite Tyrannosaurus rex
- It is among the largest carnivorous dinosaurs in the Jurassic Park saga, alongside the Indominus rex and the Tyrannosaur of Isla Nublar.
- Coincidentally, Spinosaurus as a whole is considered the biggest theropod on record (along with Giganotosaurus), as they really do dwarf Tyrannosaurus.
- While Spinosaurus in the film is capable to stand in a bipedal posture, recent discoveries of its kind's fossil implied that Spinosaurus is likely quadrupedal in real life.
- Spinosaurus was originally going to appear in Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, but it was cut and classed as a subject to cruelty by Dinosaur Protection Group along with Dilophosaurus, Giganotosaurus, Metriacanthosaurus, Einiosaurus, Camarasaurus, Hadrosaurus, an Unidentified Crocodalian, Pachyrhinosaurus and a Green Velociraptor.
External Links Edit
- Spinosaurus at the Jurassic Park wiki
- Spinosaurus at the LEGO wiki
Dr. John Hammond† | Lewis Dodgson | Dennis Nedry† | Billy Yoder† | Dr. Laura Sorkin† | Peter Ludlow† | Roland Tembo | Dieter Stark† | Commander Vic Hoskins† | Dr. Henry Wu | InGen Contractor | Eli Mills† | Ken Wheatley† | Gunnar Eversol†