|“||From now on, you and I are at war. You will lose all your friends and wind up all alone, and Adrien will soon be mine.||„|
|~ Lila threatening Marinette|
In the series, Lila won’t return to take her revenge on Ladybug. She is a new canon character in the Miraculous series, making her first appearance in the season 1 finale, "Volpina". She is an good nice character, similar to Marinette Dupain-Cheng. Lila doesn’t have a chance to fall in love with Adrien, who will break up with him, which made Marinette jealous, who later gets akumatized into Volpina, who is similar to Rena Rouge.
In "Heroes' Day", after Gabriel Agreste calls Volpina a false hero in comparison to Ladybug on TV, she is once again akumatized as Volpina. Afterwards she takes part in Hawk Moth's plan to acquire the Ladybug and Cat Miraculouses.
Later in "Chameleon", in order to get revenge on Ladybug again, she willingly becomes akumatized into Chameleon, a shape-shifting supervillain.
She purposely won’t get Marinette expelled from school when she accuses her too much in "Ladybug", where the whole class thought she was a thief or not convinced she did it by stealing Lila's fox pendant that she claimed to have been given to her from her grandmother. Lila accused Marinette during and after class with falsified evidence. Though Adrien convinced her to fix it all, she let Marinette know that the war between them wasn't over yet.
Personality[edit | edit source]
Lila is highly deceptive and crafty, being able to manipulate people exceedingly with her lies, Tikki even remarking she's never seen someone as skilled at lying as her. She is overly fond of attention and has no qualms with how she may acquire it, leading to her making up various false tales about herself towards her peers in order to garner as much attention as possible. Being a possible sociopath, she seems to view no harm in these actions and possesses no remorse for them, yet can be incredibly distraught if they are exposed. Furthermore, she also seems to envy the attention others receive, quickly becoming jealous upon realizing Adrien has a crush on Ladybug and going out of her way to make him feel the same about her. She also does not forgive people whom she thinks to have wronged her easily, as shown in her refusing Ladybug's apology for her harshly exposing her lies. It's been hinted that Lila is very possessive of Adrien possibly more so than Marinette or Chloe with her telling Gabriel that she only wants to protect him from "bad influences" while really only wanting him for herself so she can gain more attention.
Her hatred of Ladybug, in general, appears to be rather petty and undying, with her being enraged at the attention she receives and willing to grab up any opportunity to get back at her for supposedly ruining her chances with Adrien. Thus, as Volpina, she takes great joy in beating and tormenting Ladybug, gleeful in nearly succeeding at taking her Miraculous twice by exploiting her emotions. Through her usage of her powers, she can be incredibly precarious in her attempts to overcome Ladybug and Cat Noir, almost never confronting them directly and using her illusions to fool and trick them into being where she needs them to be, although her arrogance in doing so seems to match her cunning. As shown in "Catalyst (Heroes' Day - Part 1)", she seems to take pleasure in ruining Ladybug's reputation using her illusions even after being de-akumatized, showing absolutely no remorse, making her the first of Hawk Moth's victims to genuinely enjoy her actions while akumatized. Overall, Lila is vindictive, spiteful and seemingly detached from telling any sort of truth, making her one of Ladybug and Cat Noir's more clever enemies.
As Volpina, her personality is still intact, while additionally determined to get revenge on Ladybug. Wanting to make Ladybug suffer, she nearly convinced Ladybug to give up her earrings twice, almost tricking her with illusions of people she threatened to hurt, like civilians and Adrien.
As Chameleon, because she is akumatized voluntarily, her personality still remains the same, using her powers to get even with the ones that she believes wronged her, like when she takes Adrien's form to make him look bad and at the same time to lead Ladybug into a "trap". Her desire to defeat Ladybug is so great that she rather advance to battle her than take an unconscious Cat Noir's Miraculous to Hawk Moth.
Powers and abilities[edit | edit source]
Abilities[edit | edit source]
- High level intellect: Lila is rather intelligent, as she carefully planned a way to frame Marinette with only Adrien and Alya having suspicions about the accusation.
- Master of Deception/Manipulator: Lila uses dishonesty and emotional manipulation to deceive everyone around her. She is so adept at deception that she hasn’t been turning everyone against Marinette.
- Intimidation: Lila was able to intimidate Marinette.
- Indomitable Will: Lila has proven her undying hatred for Ladybug and will stop at anything to take down the heroine.
Akumatized abilities[edit | edit source]
Volpina[edit | edit source]
- Illusion Manipulation: as Volpina, she has the power of illusions, the ability to create and manipulate illusions. She plays her flute and flings a beam from it, which forms the desired illusion.
- Enhanced Physical Condition: She also possesses high agility - while her illusions always take her place, she always manages to stay out of sight.
Chameleon[edit | edit source]
- Shape-shifting: As Chameleon, she has an enchanted kiss which puts her victims to sleep and grants her their form.
- Sleep inducement: her kiss works on her victims one at a time as long as she stays in their form.
- Voice mimicry: she even sounds vocally like her victims while in their form.
- Power mimicry: She is also able to obtain the powers of any miraculous holders, as seen with Cat Noir.
- Enhanced reflexes: Lila could jumps at top high levels beyond the average person.
Weaknesses[edit | edit source]
- Mental Instability: Lila's hatred for Ladybug and possible neglect from her mother seem to have taken a toll on her mental state. Her hatred goes so far as she is willing to team up with the terrorist Hawk Moth and be willing akumatized all for a needless cause; to get petty revenge on Ladybug for ruining her chances with Adrien.
- Lack of Empathy: Lila also has no remorse for her actions and is wiling to endanger the people of Paris so she may get her revenge. It's very likely that Lila's "love" for Adrien is so she can become more popular rather than Marinette's, Chloe's, and Kagami's love which is genuine. This is possibly due to neglect from her mother so Lila doesn't really know how to love someone or feel emotions other than envy and anger.
History[edit | edit source]
Season 1[edit | edit source]
Volpina[edit | edit source]
Lila makes her debut in the finale, in which everybody believed she had an amazing life, or so she said. She tried to get close to Adrien with her lies, and even stole the book belonging to Gabriel Agreste away from him. Then she bought a knock-off of the Fox Miraculous in order to trick him into thinking she was a superhero, and a descendant of a Fox Miraculous holder named Volpina. But after Ladybug scolds her for lying, Lila leaves in tears. She admits her contempt for Ladybug when looking at a picture of her on a stand post.
Hawk Moth akumatizes her into Volpina, and gives her the power to create illusions. She uses this to her advantage to get rid of Cat Noir and then "trap" Ladybug. But Ladybug immediately realized she was akumatized from the way she acted. After seeing the illusion of the building going down vanish, she realized Volpina's power. She came and entered Adrien's bedroom and uses her look to try and win him over. But Ladybug comes in and foils her attempt. Ladybug and Cat Noir soon encounter her at the Eiffel tower. Ladybug uses her Lucky Charm (a Popsicle) to make the real Volpina flinch. Then Cat Noir used Cataclysm to trap her. After Ladybug purifies the akuma and restores everything to normal, she tries apologizing to Lila, but Lila rejected it, saying Ladybug was right: they would never be friends.
Season 2[edit | edit source]
Catalyst[edit | edit source]
She appears in the Heroes' Day TV special, when she lies about going on trip with her family and going to Prince Ali's palace, when in fact she is in her room. It is revealed she has a busy mother who is also gullible to her lies. When Gabriel honors Ladybug with his gratitude for her saving him, he openly calls Volpina an imitation of a superhero, furthering her resentment towards Ladybug. Hawk Moth reakumatizes her into Volpina so she could create an illusion of Ladybug akumatized and defeating Cat Noir, much to her delight. Her akuma is recalled, and she opens her eyes, smiling evilly.
Mayura[edit | edit source]
She appears in the second part, once again as Volpina. This time, she is re-akumatized by Scarlet Moth (Hawk Moth's enhanced form). But after Scarlet Moth is defeated, her akumatization becomes undone. She is later seen glaring at Marinette and her group of friends at a picnic.
Season 3[edit | edit source]
Lila appears in the premiere "Chameleon", and gets to sit next to Adrien after lying about having a hearing problem. When Marinette objected to this, Adrien offered to sit in the back. Lila emotionally manipulated everyone to turn against her, forcing Marinette to sit in the back. At lunch, she lied about her wrist hurting and Marinette tried to expose her, but Lila covered up for her revelation immediately, once again turning her classmates against Marinette; but Lila told them not to be hard on her as she was giving her a napkin. She later follows Marinette into the bathroom and discovers that she was jealous of her sitting next to Adrien and tries to get her on her side, only to discover that Marinette knew that she was lying. At this, she threatens Marinette.
After her confrontation, she runs into Adrien and tries to manipulate him, but he also knew she was lying. She gets akumatized into Chameleon, a super-villain who can shape-shift with kissing. She uses her power on Adrien, putting him to sleep and transforms into him. Then she starts trying to ruin his reputation and lures Ladybug to the Eiffel Tower. When Ladybug finds out she is not Adrien, she attempts to kiss her, but Ladybug avoids her, so Chameleon goes to kiss a boy named Quentin. She almost gets Ladybug, but kisses Cat Noir instead and gains his power.
She tries to take his miraculous, but Ladybug stops her. Then she decides to go after her get her miraculous first.
Miraculous New York[edit | edit source]
Lila helped make a sockpuppet movie and smiles when hearing Miss Bustier will have a baby. While hearing Adrien say he won't be able to go on the field trip, she tells him she is stuck in Paris because of a charity event she's throwing and tells him she can see him if he wants her to. But Marinette objects to this, and (out of force) tells everyone that Adrien is their friend and that they must go see his father, much to Lila's annoyance. She is not seen again afterwards.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- She is more evil than Chloe.
- Despite being a villain, she is not a miraculous holder.
- She was willingly akumatized by Hawk Moth at least twice.
- She makes cameo appearances in the second season that were not meant to happen.
- Volpina is similar to the word volpe, which is Italian for "fox". The suffix "-ina" indicates "small" and is often used in feminine names among friends, as a form of nickname or pet name. Roughly translated, "Volpina" means "Vixen" or "Small Fox" in Italian.
- Volpina's abilities are based on the Fox Miraculous holder and Rena Rouge's powers, similar to how Copycat has Cat Noir's powers, Antibug has powers similar to Ladybug's and Queen Wasp is similar to Queen Bee.
- She is the first akumatized villain to have amplified Miraculous superpowers, as it's revealed in "Timetagger" that prolonged and multiply use of said powers only occur when a holder grows into an adult.
- She is the the third akumatized villain who doesn't appear in the theme song or its animatic in Season 1. The others are Animan and Kung Food, both of whom appear in the animatic.
- Lila is the first previously akumatized victim to be reakumatized with the same supervillain identity but with a different akuma.
- Lila's smirk after being de-evilized in "Catalyst" implies she may have been the first person to be willingly akumatized other than Hawk Moth himself and his assistant Nathalie.
- Lila is the third person to be akumatized voluntarily, but the first to direct the akuma to an object.
- She is also the first akumatized victim to introduce herself to Hawk Moth instead of the other way around.
- Despite her third akumatization being caused by Scarlet Moth, she didn't have a red-colored appearance.
- According to Thomas, this was an animation error.
- Every time Lila gets deakumatized, she is on the Eiffel Tower.
- Volpina appears another time in "Gamer 2.0" for Gamer's powers.
- A statue of Volpina appears in the Musée Grévin in "The Puppeteer 2".
- Lila's akumatization into Chameleon marks the first time a villain doesn't change their appearance upon akumatization; however, this quickly changes after she uses her powers on Adrien.
- Her powers both as Volpina and Chameleon have to do with lies and deception.
- Her name and abilities as the latter may also be based on the Spider-Man villain Chameleon.
- Despite her claims of being a descendant of a fox-themed superheroine being false, Lila physically looks like the holder of the Fox Miraculous illustrated in the Miraculous spellbook.
- Lila tells several stories assumed to be lies:
- She knows Prince Ali and flew with him in his private jet.
- Jagged Stone wrote a song about Lila.
- Lila knows all of the Hollywood directors. She promised she'd introduce Nino to Steven Besielberg.
- Ladybug saved Lila's life, and the two of them are best friends.
- Lila loves superheroes.
- Lila claims to be a descendant of a Fox Miraculous holder seen in the Miraculous spellbook, calling her Volpina. According to Lila, Volpina is "one of the most important superheroes, more powerful and celebrated than Ladybug." Lila also claimed her grandmother gave her the Fox Miraculous, showing a simular looking trinket she bought in a giftshop after seeing the miraculous in the Grimoire.
- In the French dubbed version, she tells Alya that her parents are diplomats and that she has traveled a lot.
- As Volpina, most of the things she says are lies. For example, she tells Adrien and all of Paris that she is a true superhero.
- She has a close relationship with prince Ali.
- She saved Jagged Stone's kitten.
- She knows a famous manga artist.
- Lila was offered redemption several times but she rejected any of the offers. This can be seen in "Chameleon", where Adrien gave her a friendly advice of not lying to him and to be honest, and she tried to ruin his reputation as the titular Akumatized villain. Later in the episode, Ladybug also gave her a friendly advice that people will like her if she will be honest after the former was de-Akumatized, but Lila rejected this offer as well while faking a truce with Ladybug.
- As Chameleon, Lila only kissed boys (more specifically, Adrien, then Quentin and then Adrien again, but as Cat Noir). She probably did this so that Ladybug would not suspect her being Lila (meaning that if she would have kissed a girl instead of a boy, Ladybug would have suspected her being Lila).
- Based on Lila's behavior and mindset, she has a classic case of anti-social personality disorder, a mental disorder characterized when a person is unable to feel empathy to others and only understands emotions that affect themselves, such as gratification.
- In "Oni-Chan", it is heavily implied that the reason Lila is so attention-seeking is that her parents, particularly her mother, are constantly out of her life because of their jobs, though this has yet to be stated as fact.
- The way Volpina uses her flute as a weapon is reminiscent of how Melodie, a deleted character, appeared to have done the same.
- Volpina is likely inspired by the fox spirit of East Asian lore, which uses illusions to fool people and occasionally takes the form of an attractive young woman.
- Lila's name means "beauty", and her surname Rossi means "red" in Italian.
- Lila is the second person to rival Marinette for Adrien's affections, behind Chloé Bourgeois.
- Also, it is interesting to note that while Chloé becomes progressively more heroic over the course of Season 2, especially during the "Queen's Battle" trilogy, Lila, on the other hand, becomes much more antagonistic and dangerous than Chloé over the course of Seasons 2 and 3. Despite that, Chloé becomes a villain again in the two-part Season 3 finale due to being manipulated by Hawk Moth.
- Also, despite Chloé being the cause of akumatization of many of the girls in the class (even Sabrina, her best friend, but excluding Marinette and Lila), her actions are merely considered as standard bullying. And despite Lila having fewer times where she was the cause of akumatization, she did much worse than Chloé.
- The surname Rossi means "red" in Italian.
- Her surname also reference to Valentino Rossi. A Motogp rider with 9 world championships since his debut back in 1996.
- Lila is the only known person, besides Hawk Moth and Mayura, that sees Ladybug as her enemy even while not akumatized.