|“||No matter how much a monkey evolves, it's still a monkey!||„|
|~ Baby on his genocidal hatred for the Saiyans.|
Baby is a parasitic alien life-form from the anime Dragon Ball GT. He was created by combining the DNA of the Tuffle king with a robotic body. He is the first of the three arc villains in Dragon Ball GT and the main antagonist of the Baby Saga.
Baby was created by the surviving Tuffle scientists near the end of the Saiyans' genocidal campaign against them, a conflict instigated by King Vegeta so he could rule the planet and steal their technology. Baby was given the source DNA of their king and was launched into space in a ship with the remnants of the Tuffle king with him before the entire Tuffle race was wiped out. As a result, he possesses an intense hatred for the Saiyans, who killed off the Tuffles and took over their planet (Planet Plant, renamed Planet Vegeta after the Saiyan conquest).
At some unknown point, he created Dr. Myuu, giving him the designs for creating the machine mutants and to resurrect him later on. However, Myuu believed that he was the one who programmed Baby and not the other way around.
Goku, Pan and Trunks first encountered Baby in Dr. Myuu's Lab, and Trunks destroys his incubator. However, Baby was not destroyed. Instead, he awoke and engaged the Saiyans in battle but was overwhelmed and hid himself in Myuu's body. Once in space, Baby burst out of Myuu's body, revealing he was the one who created Myuu before he went over his plans to kill the Saiyans and since they thought him dead, he started planning to catch them off-guard.
Using one of the Black Star Dragon Balls, Baby found a ship with many passengers aboard and, after killing a majority of them, possessed a young alien passenger and lured the Saiyans to the ship. When they arrived, they took him to a medical planet, where he came up with a plan to steal one of their bodies. Stealing the body of a doctor, he tricked Trunks and tried to possess him, but Goku and Pan showed up with the Saiyans revealing they knew he was alive and wanted to draw him out.
They engaged in a battle with Baby managing to enter Trunks' body through a cut on his arm, but Trunks turned Super Saiyan and forced Baby out. However, it turns out Trunks had some of the Tuffle parasite's DNA put into him, and Baby was snuck off the planet in a space shuttle. Having tasted the power he was seeking, Baby killed all the passengers, absorbed their energy and decided to go to Earth to obtain more power from the Saiyans there.
Eventually, Baby arrived on Earth, where the few remaining Saiyans resided. Baby began to infect the people of the planet except for Mr. Satan, Uub and Good Buu, and took over several of the Z-Fighters, eventually settling on Vegeta as his permanent host. Goku fought Baby once he returned to the brainwashed Earth, but Baby was able to defeat Goku, even after he went Super Saiyan 3, due to his child body being unable to maintain that level of power. Baby launched a final attack at Goku, who is teleported away at the last second.
Baby believes Goku to be dead, so he uses the Black Star Dragon Balls to wish for Planet Plant to be brought back. Uub, Goku's student and friend, arrived to avenge his fallen mentor and fused with Good Buu to become Majuub, but Baby turned Majuub into chocolate and devoured him. Goku returned to Earth with his newly-restored tail to fight Baby once more, but despite his new power, he could not defeat him. Goku then turned into a Golden Great Ape and went on a rampage, overwhelming Baby before Pan managed to get him to regain control of his senses, thus allowing Goku to turn into a Super Saiyan 4.
Baby was no match for Super Saiyan 4 Goku, as even his strongest attack only did superficial damage to Goku. A Tuffle-infected Bulma brought out a Blutz-Wave Amplifier to help Baby, and by using it, Baby became a Golden Great Ape. Goku continued to fight and was able to defeat Baby with the help of Gohan, Goten, Trunks (who were freed from Baby's infection), Mr. Satan, Majuub (who had been freed from Baby's body) and Pan.
|“||No! This... this can't be happening!||„|
|~ Baby's last words before he is destroyed by Super Saiyan 4 Goku's x10 Kamehameha.|
Baby abandons Vegeta's body and enters a spaceship, hoping to escape, but Goku uses a x10 Kamehameha and sends his ship into the sun, completely obliterating him before the Z-Fighters returned to Dende's lookout, with Goku using his Instant Transmission and Kibito Kai using the Sacred Water to free everybody from Baby's infection. However, the Z-Warriors discover that the Earth will explode in two weeks' time, due to Baby using the Black Star Dragon Balls to wish back Planet Plant.
The King of the Tuffles created Baby to get revenge on the Saiyans and try to repopulate the extinct Tuffle race by force. This programming had the Tuffles become no better than the Saiyans under King Vegeta and thus became the very thing that they hated.
Baby became the very thing he hated and thus destroyed the Tuffle race's good name. Even though the Saiyans destroyed the Tuffle race, they were not responsible for Baby's actions. It should also be noted that Baby is one of the only villains in the series that Goku actively goes out of his way to kill, something he didn't even do with Frieza. That said, Baby had completely spurned the multiple chances for peace Goku often offered opponents, hid behind Goku's possessed friends, and made reckless use of the most dangerous version of the Dragon Balls. To allow Baby to get away was to doom everyone the villain encountered thereafter, and unlike many other opponents, he would not lie low, even for a moment. The irony becomes that Baby managed to so enrage the most charitable champion imaginable.
Powers and Notable Techniques
Baby is a tuffle parasite that has complete body manipulation similar to Majin Buu. He can posses people like a virus by entering their body through an opening into the host. Like almost all the other fighters in the franchise, Baby can fly, is Superhumanly strong and fast, and can manipulate Ki Attacks.
An Explosive Wave produced by Baby's infant form screaming in rage.
Revenge Death Ball
It is comprised of the pure negative, dark-blue energy of all the possessed people under Baby's control, making it an evil counterpart of the Spirit Bomb. Unlike the Spirit Bomb, however, the energy is evidently stored within Baby, and can be replicated (and possibly amplified) at any time after the initial energy is absorbed. Although it is not capable of destroying things, it is powerful enough to shake dimensions.
Continuous Super Galick Gun
A barrage version of the Super Galick Gun.
Blazing Death Ball
A stronger and flaming version of the Revenge Death Ball. Unlike the original, this attack can destroy things on a vast scale.
Super Revenge Death Ball
It is the most powerful version of the Revenge Death Ball (and arguably Baby's strongest attack). It is used in a similar fashion to the original, and it is more than powerful enough to destroy Planet Plant.
According to the video game Scouter Battle Kamehameha, Super Baby Vegeta 2's power level is 1,300,000,000 and Golden Great Ape Baby's power level is 1,580,000,000. When fought again in a special mission, his power level is 1,559,936,524 as Super Baby Vegeta 2 and 1,895,922,852 as Golden Great Ape Baby Vegeta.
- The name of Baby's race, "Tuffle", is similar to the foodstuff "truffle", continuing the theme of most Dragon Ball characters and such being named after foods. Their Japanese name, "Tsufuru" or "tsuful", is an anagram of "furutsu", or "fruit", a sort of opposition to most Saiyans being named after vegetables.
- Baby was originally intended to be the final villain of Dragon Ball GT, hence why his saga is the longest.
- Baby is voiced by Mike McFarland in the FUNimation dub, by Adam Hunter in the Blue Water dub, and by Yusuke Numata in the original Japanese version.
- Baby was notably not among the dead villains released from Hell during the Super 17 Saga, nor was he encountered by Goku when he was trapped in Hell. Whether an in-universe reason for this exists is not known. Adding to this is the fact that Hell as depicted in GT and filler episodes of Z is contrary to the original manga, in which the denizens of Hell did not keep their bodies. Likely, this was an editorial decision to avoid bringing Baby back right after he was destroyed; also, he would have been (or become) markedly more powerful than almost any other escapee at that point, reducing their threat or making the undead army theoretically unstoppable.
- In the original Japanese dub and the Blue Water dub, when Baby Gohan and Baby Goten speak, Baby's voice is heard (similar to Baby Vegeta and Baby Trunks) while in the FUNimation dub, all possessed forms can speak with their host's voices, while Baby's voice is still heard when Baby Vegeta and Baby Trunks speak.
- Along with Hatchiyack and Dr. Raichi's ghost, Baby is another creation of the tuffle race that tried to avenge its creators. Together with them, Paragus and Broly, Baby is the second villain created as a result of King Vegeta's tyranny.
Similarities with other antagonists
- Goku Black, the main antagonist of the Future Trunks Saga of Dragon Ball Super:
- Both are main villains who have a deep hatred for Saiyans, although Black hates all mortals as well.
- Both used the new Dragon Balls introduced in their series to further their grand plans for the universe.
- Both use Saiyan bodies for the power they feel they need to accomplish these plans.
- Both use altered Super Saiyan forms to match and surpass Goku.
- They also both share the same irony of the thing that they hate, Saiyans and Mortals respectively.
- The Mutant Tuffle and the tyrannical Kai ultimately become the very thing they hated in their quest to vanquish the respective races they despised.
- Because of their deeds, they gained more sinister personalities and more destructive desire as a result: thus, destroying their race's good name (though it should be noted that evil Core Person are confirmed to exist and other vengeful Tuffle villains have appeared such as Dr. Lychee and the Tuffle machine Hatchiyack).
- Both see their evil actions as completely justified.
- They also use the body of one of the protagonists (Vegeta in Baby's case, Goku in Black's case) and both end up doing evil things to an incarnation of Bulma (Baby infects Bulma with a Tuffle parasite turning her against Goku and the uninfected Z Fighters, while Black ends up killing Future Bulma).
- Venom, among the most famous enemies of Spider-Man:
- Both are parasites, as well as being aliens.
- Emperor Palpatine, the main antagonist of the Star Wars universe:
- Both want to rebuild their race/order (Baby the Tuffle and Palpatine the Sith) and take revenge on the ancient rivals (the Saiyans for Baby, the Jedi for Palpatine).
- Both want universal domination under the control of their own race/order (Tuffle and Sith).
- Lord Voldemort, the main antagonist of Harry Potter's saga:
- Both can take possession of the bodies and both can kill the host body from within.